MEDIA MONITORING DATABASE
Assaulters of Levent Gültekin released
RELATED PERSON OR INSTITUTION
Levent Gültekin
CITY
İstanbul
YEAR OF INTERFERENCE
2021
LAST UPDATED
03/05/2021
IMPUNITY CATEGORY
Impunity for Violence
MEDIA
National Media

In the trial over the attack on journalist Levent Gültekin by a group of people in front of the Halk TV studio in İstanbul’s Bakırköy district in the evening of March 8, 2021, the Bakırköy Civil Court of First Instance has ruled that two arrested defendants shall be released. Speaking to Halk TV about the hearing held on March 3 World Press Freedom Day, Gültekin’s attorney Çağrı Metin said, “The arrested defendants – as though there had been no video footage – made those ugly defenses again, claiming that Mr. Gültekin insulted them and they went there to buy books. The attorneys of the defendants – despite the medical report – also said that nothing happened to the hand of Mr. Gültekin, he had no broken bones and he could move his fingers during the program [broadcast after the attack]. All in all, we came up with the result that we were expecting. The defendants have been released. We are not surprised.” The trial will continue in September 2021 (May 3).